Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wines, Wines, Wines!

At the school's culinary arts program we are required to take a 3-week crash course in wines just before we go into what is called "Restaurant Row", or the collection of 12-week classes where students work in the restaurants on campus both as servers and cooks. When I got back from Christmas break, which was a joyous 9 days long, I was thrown into this course which is said to be the hardest class the school offers. First impression was that its not that hard...but whatever, that's not what this is about.

I don't drink, ever. Never have, still don't plan on it. In class we are required to spit the wines tasted but when some does slip down my throat it burns me like even bourbon would an alcoholic. All except for two.

Average 8-wine tasting at school. See that delicious one on the right? It's a white Muscat called Electra.

I have fell in love with two wines: Rieslings and sweet dessert wines (as of right now, white and black Muscats...I could drink bottles full). I have only had a chance to taste Rieslings once or twice, but Muscats three times now.

Rieslings are fantastic little acidic liquids of goodness. People say they taste all sorts of flowers and fruits, but I just taste a soft appley taste that cleans out my mouth and is completely refreshing. I know, I know, what riesling did I try you ask? Well I am speaking specifically about my favorite Riesling, Dr Loosen's from Mosel, Germany 2009. Have I tried others? Well no...but technically all Rieslings should have the same basic qualities just varying in flavors.

Dessert wines I have fallen in love with (except Ports, wtf is up with those alcoholic bitter bitches?). Muscats are to die for, and when given the opportunity to drink wines in class one day when paired with cheeses and chocolate, this is the only one that I happily drank. It's sweetness is so awesome, it smells sweet and whenever I tried it with the chocolate, it brought out the fruitiness of the wine that was awesome! By far my favorite so far has been Elysium, Quady, Madera, California 2007. First muscat I tasted and its actually a red dessert wine.

Here it is...mmm.

Now I know I've just ranted about 2 wines here...because they are the only ones I've enjoyed tasting. I love using wines in cooking, but school prevents that on my own time because I am currently underage, but wine transfers flavors of a dish. One of my favorites is to do a Coq au Vin, chicken braised in wine and stock, with a nice red wine (I believe I use Cabernets...but its been a wine).

We've talked about bridging wines (pairing a dish with the wine used in the dish), complementing, contrasting, etc. Without tasting it much myself there's not a lot I can say for that...maybe some day.

As of now, hand me Muscat or maybe even the famed Icewine and I'm a happy underage drunk...but only in class...where its legal...

No comments:

Post a Comment