Friday, December 30, 2011

Daniel meets the Habanero

My name is Wha? My name is Wha?
Spicy should be a flavor. I'm just saying. The whole trigeminal nerve thing is just weird and not right to me, but what do I know? I just cook. I love spicy foods: hot cheetos are to die for and are my go-to junk food (but why do they not exist in New York?), spicy Mexican food, Thai food, buffalo wings, love it. It was the first time I noticed that "pairings" were important in food. For example, sodas+spicy foods make the spicy worse...I still always eat spicy food with sodas, but its pretty much good. Ranch, sour cream, etc help cool things the fuck down. Do I resort to these? Nope. But I noticed it, and that's what matters in the long run.

So I made Poblano rellenos, poblano peppers stuffed with quinoa, black beans, cheeses (where the problem begins), nicely seasoned onions, all kinds of good stuff. The month before I went on my school's required Externship I made this dish for my mom and used Pepperjack cheese as well as some others. This time my brother had bought some habanero cheese and left a lot left, so I decided to use it. Y'know, use what you have? I added maybe 2 tablespoons to about 2.5 cups of filling...I tried it and all was well.

When we began eating this delicious dish that I LOVE, my mom made a heat comment but I brushed it off...actually, I grunted and pushed the sour cream towards her, never letting my eyes leave the TV. As we ate and ate, I felt the same nose running, sweat-inducing trigeminal nerve searing pain my mother was experiencing. I downed my soda and began dipping every bite in a dollop of sour cream, thinned with heavy cream - more dairy, damn it! I scraped my plate quickly and grabbed a bottle of water.

That was 5 hrs ago from writing this. My fingers are burning like they do after you burn yourself on molten stock (see recent blog entry) that...after-burn. My lips are numb even with the chap stick (which I will now burn with my newly purchased blow-torch, unless I want it to burn me later), and as I showered my face and body began taking on the burning sensation my hands feel as the capsaicin burned my body.

I've always hated the little bastards because I thought the flavor would be too intense and its more of a "Ooo look I added a whole, unchopped, unpierced habanero to my barbeque sauce." Yeah nice job douchebag, so you mean you added pesticides to it? How's that taste? Now I know its just painful and stupid...I'll stick to the disgusting pickled jalapenos in my mom's 'fridge before returning to this shit. The small bit that was left ended up in the garbage before I even baked the things off...good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment